Monday 10 June 2013

Day 2

I've spent the day a virtual cripple. I've somehow injured my back and am in agony. It took me several attempts and several minutes to get out of bed to go to the doctor. As a (usually) rational person I almost laughed at the fact that I often wake up in agony (somewhat higher up than my back) and have problems leaving bed through my own personal choice. This got me thinking about why anyone would drink alcohol in large amounts. The list of reasons why I personally shouldn't drink is much longer than the reasons why I should:

1)  I don't like myself when I drink heavily. Jekyl and Hyde look(s) positively stable in comparison to me when I'm expelling Jägermeister fumes!

2) I don't really like the taste of alcohol: I'd actually prefer to have a fruit juice or a hot chocolate (very macho). But I've never drunk because of the taste: give me a bottle of Chateau Lafite or a cheap bottle from the supermarket. It ain't gonna getndrunk because of the taste, baby.

3) I have my own business and am the "face" of the business. I should behave like a person I wouldn't like to see in my own bar. Apart from the fact that 20 versions of me would double the takings in a week.

4) Hangovers are no fun! And I'm getting fed up with saying to myself "never again" and doing it again.

5) I don't want to die young. I'm sure that my liver is twenty years older than the rest of me. I also would like to stop smoking and that won't happen if I continue drinking.

6) Getting wine stains out of white shirts is not an easy task.

I could go on but I'm sure you get the idea.

Reasons why I should drink:

1) Makes me more relaxed and able to cope with troublesome customers (until I become too
 "relaxed" and troublesome myself).

2) It makes life more fun (true, until the point in the evening comes when things simply aren't fun anymore).

3) I have had great nights drunk and can't imagine sitting all night in a bar and enjoying myself sober (true, but I've also had as many terrible nights [see "day 1] which I can remember, as many which I can't. However, I really don't enjoy sitting in pubs sober when all around are drinking. Have to find something better to do with my evenings).

Can't really think of any other positive reasons. Well, I can, but not for myself as there is always a down side: everything starts well, and later......

As for today: I very, very rarely drink alcohol on a Monday but because I've told myself that it's now forbidden I would quite like to have a drink: what's not allowed is all the more tempting. But I can't say that I'm the verge of taking a bottle wine out of the fridge and drinking a glass. I know, I should throw it away but I have a bar! If I can resist the bottle in the fridge I can resist the alcohol surrounding me at work.

That's enough self-therapy for today, folks. Tomorrow, day 3, is Tuesday and usually the day I go out for a drink or twenty. It's become a routine. However, it's a routine that needs to be stopped.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment